As of 9 October 2015
Supplemental Material for Chapter 4
Army War College paper on the origins of US national security strategy pdf
Formulation of grand strategy typically begins with an assessment of national interests, but there is no consensus, and no meaningful public debate. The following documents provide examples of interests and threats to interests.
· U.S. Intelligence Community Worldwide Threat Assessment (2012) pdf
· Public Beliefs about National Security and Foreign Policy (2007) pdf
· The Commission on America's National Interest (2000) pdf
· Strategic Assessment (1999) pdf
· Strategic Assessment (1998) pdf
· Strategic Assessment (1997) pdf
· Strategic Assessment (1996) pdf
· Strategic Assessment (1995) pdf
o Review of Strategic Assessment (1995) pdf
See also the Classics of Strategy and Diplomacy html.
The CIA World Fact Book provides considerable information that is useful background for the study of national security.
· CIA World Fact Book html
This chapter in an earlier edition of Orchestrating ended with a brief global summary of geostrategic conditions at the end of WWII as the Cold War took shape.
· Postwar (WWII) Conditions pdf